Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Canoe fishing essentials -- make life easy


Personal floatation devices (pdf) are essential for safety, but they can also be a helpful tool.  I use a NRS life jacket, and the two things I like most about are 1) It has a waistband that snaps, so I can unzip it when it gets warm and still feel like it will be with me if I capsize my canoe.   2) It has two generous pockets.  I keep a compass, whistle, and spare reading glasses in one pocket, and I keep a small waterproof Fuji camera in the other pocket (more about my camera later).  I also keep a serrated-edge Gerber knife attached to a lash tab and an Orvis Fly Fisher's Snip pinned to a pocket strap.



If you suffer from low back pain as I do, a good seat back is worth its weight in gold.  I have two different seat backs: the wooden one (in the photo above) is made by Old Town Canoe, and it fits nicely on their web seats.  I also own one from LL Bean called a SitBacker that has a built in padded seat cushion.  They both work fine and support my back.
For fishing tackle, I've discovered Flambeau's Kwikdraw soft tackle bag.  I like it because it has three plastic boxes for lures, swivels, etc.  It also has a large zippered pocket for an extra reel, line, pliers, stringer, etc.  It has a sturdy shoulder strap to which I've added a carabiner, so it is easily attaches to a canoe thwart.



I also carry a small dry bag.  A mountain man might have called it a "possibles bag," but I call it my "extras bag."  It contains things I probably won't need, but will be mighty happy I have with me if an occasion arises when I need them.  The small rubberized dry bag by Seattle Sports is about 7" in diameter and 16" deep.  I carry a paddle jacket, rain pants, polyester gloves, first aid kit, headlamp, air horn, sunblock, insect repellent, and a fire starter in mine. 


To capture photographs of wildlife, trip memories, and trophy fish I carry a Fujifilm FinePix Z33WP camera.  This is a 10 megapixal digital camera with 3x optical zoom and a 2.7-inch LCD screen.  It has 50 MB built-in memory, and It's waterproof to 10 feet deep.  For less than $250.00 it the best camera around for a canoeist.  I just wish they had these a few years back when I was carrying a cardboard box with a lens in the end that we called a disposable camera.  Those old photos were so poor I threw most of them out long ago.


 

In the photo above you'll see both of my canoes as they were outfitted for a recent fishing trip on the Snake River in Wyoming.  The Scotty rod holders sure made paddling easier.  Years ago I would troll with my fishing rod trapped under one knee and braced against the other knee.  Somehow I managed to paddle and fish at the same time, but a good clamp-on rod holder sure has not only improved my fishing but also made my paddling more efficient.

My canoe fishing essentials checklist

After nearly a half century of fishing from a canoe I've finally created a checklist of things that make my fishing trips safe, comfortable, and more efficient:

• wooden paddle on leash
• double paddle tied to thwart with bungee
• topographic map in waterproof case
• bear spray on belt (in bear country)
• painter(s)  (two on river trips)
• seat back and seat pad
• baler and sponge
• rescue rope and two carabiners [on river trips]
• Scotty clamp-on fishing rod holder
• rod and reel (rigged with lure) on leash
• wood fishing net on bungee leash
• personal flotation device (pfd) with knife, whistle, compass, and glasses
• Fuji waterproof camera and Orvis fly fisher's snip
• wide brim hat and floating, polarized sunglasses on lanyard
• wool whipcord pants
• nylon underwear, layered polyester shirts and fleece or wool jacket
• water shoes

Hydro Venture dry bag:

• paddle jacket and rain pants
• polyester gloves
• toilet paper in ziplock bag and trowel
• small dry bag (wallet and keys)
• mini roll of duct tape

Seal Line waist pack (inside dry bag):

• headlamp with fresh batteries
• insect repellent
• sun block
• handkerchief
• air horn 
• first aid kit
• extra folding knife
• survival fishing kit
• fire-starter

Tackle bag:

• plastic tackle boxes with lures
• stringer
• pliers
• fishing license
• extra spinning reel
• leader and extra line

Lunch cooler bag:

• lunch and water bottle


No comments:

Post a Comment