Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Cowboy Chic -- Folk art acrylic paintings


About 2000, my Lure of the Dim Trails furniture business was really slowing down, so I decided to spend more time learning to paint.  I never had much patience, so oil paints were out of the question.  I discovered acrylic paint, and after a few false starts, I painted "Ground Tied" (above).  It's on a 16" x 20" canvas, and in Joyce's collection.


I love fantasy art, so why not paint a younger Joyce with her horse Cash (circa 1880).  It's titled "Prairie Pals," and is mixed-media on a 24" x 36" canvas.


Continuing the 1880s fantasy theme, I next painted a younger Sunup with an old time cowpoke.  Aren't they handsome?  It's titled "Saddle Pals," and is mixed-media on a 24" x 36" canvas.


A couple years later I painted "California Moon," it's mixed media on a 24" x 30" canvas.  Do you recognize Zinger and Joyce, who turn blond on me?


"Pal-O-Mine" (above) was an experiment using acrylic on 9" x 12" paper.


And if the King of the Mustangs were ever tamed, it would be by the "Queen of the West," 16" x 20" acrylic on canvas.


I was very pleased to sell this painting to a horse-ranch owner and breeder in Oregon.  It's titled "Workin' Out the Kinks" (acrylic on a 16 "x 20" canvas).  I started painting again on New Year's day 2012, after a seven-year "layoff" :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment